Sunday, June 5, 2011

Summer Challenge

So I've had my last day at Jardine and cleaned out my office yet I still can't bring myself to take those boxes to my new classroom at Truesdell. I've gone to some trainings for the new program I'll be teaching, I get along really well with my partner teacher next year and the new curriculum looks really exciting. Yet those boxes are still in my car. I can't believe how incredibly hard it has been for me to let go of a school where I only worked for one year. I am usually one to embrace change and take charge of a new situation, but I am really struggling this time with moving forward. The students at Jardine are such awesome kids and the staff was so incredibly welcoming that I'm just plain afraid to leave. In a month I'll be completing two weeks of training for the Project Lead the Way program that I'll be teaching next year and I really hope that I will have been able to bring myself to get those boxes out of my car. I am certain some of this fear stems from having lost my job last year and then being told that I won't be returning to Jardine due to restructuring. I have been forced to take a long hard look at how I go about doing business and reflect on my own practices. I really feel that I try my best to do what is best for kids and improving our flawed education system, yet I continue to be moved about in our district. I work in the education system because I believe I truly can make a difference, but I must admit that my fear of the unknown is making me leery of moving forward in my usual "all in" way. I'm afraid that if I jump in with both feet the way I usually do that I will once again be shuffled along, but I know that if I start pulling my punches in order to walk a safer line I will not be able to look at myself in the mirror each day. So here I am, with a car full of moving boxes but unable to take that next step.

Image courtesy of http://sincerelypaige.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/moving-forward.jpg

4 comments:

Shane Koranda said...

Trust me, IT AIN'T YOU that's wrong!!! You're awesome and if I were a kid, I'd die to be in your classes! I've learned so much from you in the time you've supported me!

Our society is what's wrong with the educational system. Instead of working WITH the system to get what they need, most parents have "pre-educated" their sweet darlings to EXPECT the system to GIVE them whatever!

Go "ALL IN"! Rick's awesome! Truesdell has great kids, especially those I've lost to Truesdell :-) I'm jealous you get to work with Rick. And PLTW is totally da bomb!

I know it's easy for me to tell you to stop looking back and look forward to brighter days. I've not "been with you" these last two years where you've been treated like a pawn and shuffled around, but I've tried to be here for you and especially with be more so, now that you're a part of the best department in 259-land!!!

Jeff Yearout said...

I echo Shane - I know you well enough to know you can't do anything but go all in. The possibilities that lie within GTT are great, so long as you continue to be the wise, crafty, and never-stop-learning teacher that you are!

education said...

Hi mam i am a student of seventh class and i am from Pakistan therefore my English is not pretty good but i really enjoy your story

advance technology said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.